Storm Front by Jim Butcher Book Review

 Storm Front 

(The Dresden Files #1)

By Jim Butcher 


Published Year: 2000

Page Count: 370 pages 

Medium Used: ipad Air 

Genre : Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Science Fiction, Magic and Wizards, Action, Detectives, 2026-read. 

Rating : 4/5 😀😀😀😀




I really enjoyed this book. I really liked the character of Harry Dresden, a wizard detective that helped the cops on the side. Dresden's character was introduced in this book and I felt that there is so much more to know about him, which was not laid out in this book yet. There were many sequels in the series and I would definitely like to check them out. I thought the pacing is fast and the narrative really hooked me. It was a typical detective story - with magic involved. Someone had been murdering people through black magic - blowing their chest cavities and ripping their hearts out. There was a White Council which oversees the practitioners of magic and ensured that a set of rules be adhered to. The cops with whom Harry worked and the White Council both wrongly assumed that these murders were Harry's work. He had to find the actual killer, clear his name and reestablish cordial relations with the White Council. 


The scene where Harry got out of a crashing lift, with his cop partner in tow, escaping murderous scorpion monster, blew my mind. But as the story progressed, he kept repeating his stunts a little too often. I meant his actions felt disengaging. What further failed to impress me was the ending. I felt that there was too much magic and the fight between Harry and his nemesis who was gonna kill him, felt dragged out. Harry must have been fortuitous to have had fate favor him but he sure came off as a bit braggadocious. And he did all his fight with a fairly damaged and torn up leg. He claimed that he had pushed the pain and his mind's attention to it into a ball of irrelevance but that felt hardly possible. Granted this is fiction and fantasy there in, but it felt a bit far fetched. I didn't understand this idea of tapping into the energies of lust and fear to make psychedelic drugs. Though it made sense on a level that if one was tapping into nature's natural energy for killing, they might as well do it for drug making. 


Speed read the last few pages. Enjoy the rest laid back. Cheers ! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson Book Review

Hyperion by Dan Simmons Book Review

A Journey Through Time by H.G Tannhaus Book Review