The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket Book Review
The Wide Window
(A Series of Unfortunate Events #3)
By Lemony Snicket
Published Year: 2000
Page Count: 220 pages
Medium Used: Oneplus Nord Ce6
Genre: Children's Fiction, Science fiction, Fantasy, Siblings, Adventure, Brilliant Prose, Middle Grade, 2026-read.
Rating: 5/5 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎
This is the third book in the sensational series that hasn't failed me yet. It kept getting better with each sequel. I mean the prose is simply rivetting and great. I like how the author inserts his voice into the narration at times to clarify some situation or add more meaning to it. It feels like the author is narrating the tale to each reader in a very cosy and comforting tone and setting.
This book has two important things going for it. One is the amazing plot and the second is amazing, humorous yet realistic characters. The character of Aunt Josephine is perhaps my favourite one in the series. She is afraid of everything and wants to dig herself into a solitary hole rather than expose herself to her fears and overcome them. Now imagine such a woman being put in guardianship of three adventurous and gallant, smart, inventive kids. She restricts them from really doing anything at her home, making their lives difficult. But when she escapes the clutches of Olaf, leaving them a hint as to her whereabouts, I wanted sincerely to find her. Because although unqualified, she is a good woman at heart. She is quirky and vulnerable. She never wanted anything bad happen to the kids .. just wanted to put herself and her safety first .. over theirs! I wish I will find more about her and see more of her in the later sequels. Count Olaf, as usual, is his obnoxious and cruel, ruffian, dark self. He comes in a new disguise which the children immediately identify but no matter how vehemently they drone, Mr. Poe can't see through. But if he sees, perhaps there is no tale to recount here! 😂😂
The gist of the story is the same through the books. Count Olaf tries to get guardianship of the three children who have massive fortune waiting to come to them. He is a cunning and vicious person who wants to get rid of them after getting his hands on that money. The children are moved into the guardianship of some distant relative in each book and Olaf shows up in some disguise. The kids work hard .. using their brains and adventurous spirits .. to unveil this ruffian to Mr. Poe. Before Olaf can be caught, he escapes with his assistant(s) thereby signalling, forging a path to more adventures and dangers for the children.
I felt this book is the most innovative of the three so far. I mean it has them consuming food they are allergic to, reading atlas maps, decoding messages, stealing boats from a sleeping hulk figure,driving it in a hurricane and escaping from hungry, ferocious leeches. As usual, there is a touch of fantasy to these because they feel unrealistic. I genuinely wish that the Aunt Josephine character is spared and gets more screen space later. I watched snippets of the movie starring Jim Carrey and Meryl Streep and while I admired their deeply moving acting, I somehow couldn't compare it to the book. The book is superior is so many ways. Definitely dig this one folks!! But to get the most thrill, read the three books in the order they are written in!!

Comments
Post a Comment