Skip to main content

Book Review : The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand

 The Perfect Couple 

By Elin Hildebrand 

(Nantucket #3)


Published Year : 2018

Page Count: 347 pages 

Medium Used: Kindle PW 

Genre : Romance, Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Drama, Crime, 2024-read. 

Rating : 4/5 



The ending is such an anticlimax and a let down for me - it almost feels like being cheated. I got so high and invested in the narrative..I lost sleep for most of last night and was reading all day since I got up this morning. The character development is ooof .. the characters are filled with life, credulity and fly off the page into the reader's mind space. I loved the layout of the narrative. I loved the writing.


 I would have liked if the mother of the family was a bit on the negative side as well. I mean, really, having Nicole Kidman play the role and making it all cute, nice and kind, compassionate is like wasting enormous talent. I picked this book because I saw an ad that there is a limited series coming up on Netflix starring Nicole Kidman and other interesting actors. I am an ardent fan of her work and thought will give this author(book) a shot. I am amazed at how good the writing is. At how up to speed the author is with the modern trends and generational behaviors! 


I learnt some things like .. how what appears on the surface is not what lies beneath. Some people and their behaviors appear too good to be true. There is no such thing as 'perfect' in this world..be it a couple or a person or an experience. Trying to want and have what another has can be sadly besotted with wrong judgements and wrong choices. 


Tag and Greer Winbury are powerful, rich and sparkling couple with a happy family. They have two children - Thomas and Benji. Thomas is married to Abby and they are expecting a child. Benji is about to get married to Celeste who is an assistant director at a Zoo in New York. Early morning on the day of their marriage,on the island of Nantucket, Celeste finds the floating dead body of her best friend and maid of honor, Merritt. It spins off a police investigation that spills out the beans and drags the closet skeletons the family members have been hiding in attempts to appear 'perfect'. So who has killed the maid of honor? Are Tag and Greer the perfect couple ? Or what about Thomas and Abby? Benji and Celeste? Or Celeste's mom and dad who are suffering and struggling with the mom's advanced cancer? Is there such a thing as perfect really? 


I felt so much pity for Merritt after the book wrapped up and my heart went out to all such lost and misguided girls out there .. who yearn for something, want something but end up with something else entirely. :/ It is a sorry world really where one seeks love and gets only indifference! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough book review

The Thorn Birds  By Colleen McCullough  Rating 3.75/5 Genres : Australia, Vatican city, Cardinal, Romance, Generational fiction, Historical fiction  Bah. I dont know. I felt this is just an ok sort of book. The only aspect that stirred me and struck a chord with me is the all encompassing, soul level love between Maggie and Father Ralph de Bricassart. Everything else - no matter how juicy,emotional or dramatic just failed to make an impact. The story covers the lives of three generations of women of the Cleary/Armstrong family line - their cherished dreams and dashed hopes, their hurts and heartbreaks over unrequited, failed loves..their finally getting what they wanted but it not being fully enough.. well, it sounds and feels like a roller coaster.  And whats more..there is plenty of repeat in the events of their lives..what has happened to the mother, happens to the daughter and so on..  Coming to the story. Maggie Cleary is brought up with a bunch of brothers in a very p

If he had been wih me by Laura Nowlin Book Review

 If he had been with me  By Laura Nowlin Published Year: 2013  Page Count : 385 pages  Medium used : Paperback  Genre : Romance, Young Adult, Teenage Love, 2024-read.  Rating : 4.5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🌠 This is a well written, cute, little love story. I felt very warm and fuzzy reading it .. until realization dawned on me on how it is going to end. It is definitely a sad ending but also holds some hope and promise for the future. The writing is utterly captivating. I congratulate the author on her amazing writing skills that brought this story to life!  To get to the rest of my review, click the link to wordpress.com below.  Read My Full Review Wordpress  Or Find the same review on Wix.com below Read Full Review on Wix