Skip to main content

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee Book Review

Pachinko (2017)
By Min Jin Lee 

Genres : historical fiction, japan, Korea, ww2 
Rating 5/5 😍😍😍




This book is a National Book Award finalist. 

I am going all gaga over this book and gushing over it like I haven't done in a while. I just loved it. Reading this is like flipping pages in a photo album. Happiness,sadness,surprise,jolts of shock all come and go .. while life is happening outside and independent of them. 😏 I think the essence/soul of this story is a thriving love between Hansu and Sunja that supercedes the passage of time, distance,status, power and doesn't bother about wrinkled faces, sun blotches hands, shrinking body frames etc. 

I took my sweet time reading this wonderful concotion .. savoring every well formed sentence and making notes all over the text. Its a very engaging book and although there is no oppressive/fretful ambience like in 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' ,the suspense is riveting nevertheless. I wanted nothing but good things to happen to the family of the main characters and an occasional tear would slide down my cheek whenever Hansu was there on the scene saving the day for the family of Sunja. 😍

I got very deeply invested in the life and events of Sunja that the change of generations, times,customs and practices in Japan from the 1910s to the 1980s made little difference to me. I devoured the book and had it not ended, would have kept going! The world and character building are simply superb. The writing and prose are so extremely gripping and unique. And while there are several descriptions of explicit sexual scenes, there is no cringefest like I feel reading a Haruki Murakami book. 

I have learnt so much from this book .. about the lifestyles of Koreans, Japanese and how much suffering both had to face during the WW2 and subsequent recuperation, assimilation of Koreans into the mainstream Japan .. through observing generations of one family of Sunja Baek. 




Comments

  1. These kind of books really motivates one to lead life and express humanity. Very rarely we find such writings which depict the culture and customs. Nice review and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Santoshi. Agree with what you have said! 👍

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough book review

The Thorn Birds  By Colleen McCullough  Rating 3.75/5 Genres : Australia, Vatican city, Cardinal, Romance, Generational fiction, Historical fiction  Bah. I dont know. I felt this is just an ok sort of book. The only aspect that stirred me and struck a chord with me is the all encompassing, soul level love between Maggie and Father Ralph de Bricassart. Everything else - no matter how juicy,emotional or dramatic just failed to make an impact. The story covers the lives of three generations of women of the Cleary/Armstrong family line - their cherished dreams and dashed hopes, their hurts and heartbreaks over unrequited, failed loves..their finally getting what they wanted but it not being fully enough.. well, it sounds and feels like a roller coaster.  And whats more..there is plenty of repeat in the events of their lives..what has happened to the mother, happens to the daughter and so on..  Coming to the story. Maggie Cleary is brought up with a bunch of brothers in a very p

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susan

Valley of the Dolls (1966)       by Jacqueline Susann 510 pages (Kindle Digital Edition) Genres : Historical Fiction,  Romance, Philosophical, Psychological Fiction  Rating : 5/5 🥰🥰🥰 One of the best books I have ever read. :) Eerie, omnious and potent with nerve wracking energy. Cannot delineate this story into one subject - this is a concoction dealing with elements of love, romance, betrayal, loss, disillusionment, mental illness, mystery, cancer and deeply engaging,amazing writing talent of Susann.   It kept me hooked through out as I traveled in the shoes of three women who bond during their struggling years for fame and success and break apart once they have reached their pinnacles of success!  This story exposed the vacancy and the void felt even by the most coveted and successful people. The journey to the top is always a lonely journey and even more so when one reaches the spot.   The three women main characters - Anne, Neely, Jennifer -  have got what it takes t

If he had been wih me by Laura Nowlin Book Review

 If he had been with me  By Laura Nowlin Published Year: 2013  Page Count : 385 pages  Medium used : Paperback  Genre : Romance, Young Adult, Teenage Love, 2024-read.  Rating : 4.5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🌠 This is a well written, cute, little love story. I felt very warm and fuzzy reading it .. until realization dawned on me on how it is going to end. It is definitely a sad ending but also holds some hope and promise for the future. The writing is utterly captivating. I congratulate the author on her amazing writing skills that brought this story to life!  To get to the rest of my review, click the link to wordpress.com below.  Read My Full Review Wordpress  Or Find the same review on Wix.com below Read Full Review on Wix