Skip to main content

Girl In Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow

Girl in Pieces

By Kathleen Glasgow


Published Year : 2016

Page Count : 400 pages

Medium : Paperback

Genre : Psychological Fiction,Self Harm, Domestic Abuse, Child Abuse, Addiction, 2023-read.

Rating : 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


My Take 

I finished this book with a smile playing on my lips, silent tears of happiness and joy streaming down my cheek. I wasn’t prepared for this emotional roller coaster. I had to take occasional breaks to handle the turmoil this story was stirring in me. I got very invested in the character and the narrative is vivid, cinematic,very descriptive. The story focuses on the lives of people who feel overwhelming emotional disappointments and powerless to handle them, inflict self harm in the form of cutting or burning themselves. This act makes them forget the pain and gives them a high for a while.


This story holds a candle of hope for people going through similar experiences and shows them that there can be a silver lining behind the obstructing void and darkness. I found it very difficult to travel into the darkness of Charlie’s past which is brutal on any level. I liked the fact that she could – with the help of her friends and really random acquaintances – make a turn around for the better. I liked her character and its emotional depth, vulnerability, trusting naivete a lot. This book will remain with me for long.





About the Story 

The feeling that something bad or awful is going to happen to Charlie keeps creeping unavoided – she is so scared to face the world. Charlie is a damaged and deeply bruised/broken soul. She has faced abuse from her raging and unloving mother who throws her out onto the streets when she retaliates. (Made me thank for my life a thousand times over, for having the parents that I do, with all their flaws and differences,that still love me and tolerate me when I misbehave or overreact.) Charlie has lead an isolated and marginalized life, bullied by peers at school. When a new girl, Ellis, makes friends with her, she is beyond thrilled and grateful. But soon that dwindles as Ellis finds herself in an all consuming and obsessively destructive relationship. She has other shattering,mind numbing experiences while struggling to live on the streets.To cope with loneliness, powerlessness and inner self negative image, Charlie starts cutting herself. Her body – mainly arms and legs – is riddled with scratches and bruises. She spends time in a therapy center like a rehab but gets kicked out when she runs out of funds.  She moves to live near her childhood friend and ex crush when she gets out because her mother doesn’t want her staying with her. She hopes it would pan out into something meaningful but when it doesn’t, she feels utterly alone and abandoned. 


At her new work place, she meets a man Riley who was once on a famous music band but now is on a downward spiral of addiction to booze and drugs. For some loose change and food parcels, she covers up his addiction missteps at work. They get romantic and it turns into a toxic relationship. Their break up scene sent shivers down my spine and had me shaking in my boots. I thought he would absolutely and completely break her – who is so fragile and delicate. But things turn around and it ends well – for Charlie atleast – thank her friends and strangers who cared more for her than her own mother or family.


Highly recommend this book to people who go through depression and find no way to handle it other than self harm or self destruction. Its always better to get out of the toxicity than stay with vague hopes to alter the situation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough book review

The Thorn Birds  By Colleen McCullough  Rating 3.75/5 Genres : Australia, Vatican city, Cardinal, Romance, Generational fiction, Historical fiction  Bah. I dont know. I felt this is just an ok sort of book. The only aspect that stirred me and struck a chord with me is the all encompassing, soul level love between Maggie and Father Ralph de Bricassart. Everything else - no matter how juicy,emotional or dramatic just failed to make an impact. The story covers the lives of three generations of women of the Cleary/Armstrong family line - their cherished dreams and dashed hopes, their hurts and heartbreaks over unrequited, failed loves..their finally getting what they wanted but it not being fully enough.. well, it sounds and feels like a roller coaster.  And whats more..there is plenty of repeat in the events of their lives..what has happened to the mother, happens to the daughter and so on..  Coming to the story. Maggie Cleary is brought up with a bunch of brothers in a very p

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susan

Valley of the Dolls (1966)       by Jacqueline Susann 510 pages (Kindle Digital Edition) Genres : Historical Fiction,  Romance, Philosophical, Psychological Fiction  Rating : 5/5 🥰🥰🥰 One of the best books I have ever read. :) Eerie, omnious and potent with nerve wracking energy. Cannot delineate this story into one subject - this is a concoction dealing with elements of love, romance, betrayal, loss, disillusionment, mental illness, mystery, cancer and deeply engaging,amazing writing talent of Susann.   It kept me hooked through out as I traveled in the shoes of three women who bond during their struggling years for fame and success and break apart once they have reached their pinnacles of success!  This story exposed the vacancy and the void felt even by the most coveted and successful people. The journey to the top is always a lonely journey and even more so when one reaches the spot.   The three women main characters - Anne, Neely, Jennifer -  have got what it takes t

If he had been wih me by Laura Nowlin Book Review

 If he had been with me  By Laura Nowlin Published Year: 2013  Page Count : 385 pages  Medium used : Paperback  Genre : Romance, Young Adult, Teenage Love, 2024-read.  Rating : 4.5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🌠 This is a well written, cute, little love story. I felt very warm and fuzzy reading it .. until realization dawned on me on how it is going to end. It is definitely a sad ending but also holds some hope and promise for the future. The writing is utterly captivating. I congratulate the author on her amazing writing skills that brought this story to life!  To get to the rest of my review, click the link to wordpress.com below.  Read My Full Review Wordpress  Or Find the same review on Wix.com below Read Full Review on Wix