Skip to main content

Helen of Troy by Margaret George book review

 Helen of Troy 

By Margaret George (2006)

(800 pages Kindle Digital Edition)


Rating : 2/5 

Genres : Historical,  Mythology,  Greeks, Trojan war.




WARNING!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS PIECE OF DESPICABLE WORK !! 

The worst book on the Trojan war I have come across!! 🤢🤢🤢


I stopped reading and decided to shelve this at 50 percent of the book.(I am glad I didn't splurge money on buying a hardcopy like I initially intended to!) 


It is an understatement to say that I am just disappointed! I feel cheated and played. I had such high hopes for this! Having read her 'Memoirs of Cleopatra', I wanted to get dragged hopelessly into the world of ancient Greece and get a new look at this most retold old tale. Such books are like fiction within fiction - because the existence of Helen and the occurrence of Trojan War could have been artistic creations of Homer. The intricate details within the story are the added speculation,fantasy - adding layers and putting pieces of puzzle together. This is where Margaret George has to show her imagination/creative potential and in my opinion she utterly failed to impress!



What I thought went wrong? 

The length of the book is over 800 pages. I would have appreciated if it was much shorter. I didn't need all the nitty gritty details of what preparations regularly went into the war and the casualties suffered by either side. I merely wanted to see how Helen would be portrayed. Some call her selfish and cruel(Margaret Atwood), some assumed her to be indifferent and totally hedonistic (Pat Barker), but she ultimately is a demi-goddess. She has to be endowed with something, some ethereal and transcendental quality that can't be defined/captured on paper. But Margaret George has reduced her to the stature of a normal woman with the most beautiful face. That's the only divine trait defining her. I just couldn't accept this degradation. She is a goddess and should behave like one! 


This book is well readable until it hits the point where the greek ships arrive on the shores of Troy and hardly after that. She got lost in the details and missed highlighting the main points. Its like getting lost in the trees and missing the view of the forest. The story of Troy eschewing the roles played by Gods is inconceivable and yet the divine Helen doesnt even seem perceptible to their presence and the sides they favored. 


I didnt feel interested in the fate of Trojans or Helen with the descriptive superficiality and shallowness of the war. I would have liked to see raw and genuine Helen even in a part of selfish and self serving splendor  - like a version of Cersei Lannister of GOT series or Amazing Amy from the Gone Girl book. Who said a heroine can't be negative? Can't be the villain? Why make her good and spoil the fun of an accepted perspective? How wildly entertaining that could have been! Alas, I can only think! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough book review

The Thorn Birds  By Colleen McCullough  Rating 3.75/5 Genres : Australia, Vatican city, Cardinal, Romance, Generational fiction, Historical fiction  Bah. I dont know. I felt this is just an ok sort of book. The only aspect that stirred me and struck a chord with me is the all encompassing, soul level love between Maggie and Father Ralph de Bricassart. Everything else - no matter how juicy,emotional or dramatic just failed to make an impact. The story covers the lives of three generations of women of the Cleary/Armstrong family line - their cherished dreams and dashed hopes, their hurts and heartbreaks over unrequited, failed loves..their finally getting what they wanted but it not being fully enough.. well, it sounds and feels like a roller coaster.  And whats more..there is plenty of repeat in the events of their lives..what has happened to the mother, happens to the daughter and so on..  Coming to the story. Maggie Cleary is brought up with a bunch of brothers in a very p

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susan

Valley of the Dolls (1966)       by Jacqueline Susann 510 pages (Kindle Digital Edition) Genres : Historical Fiction,  Romance, Philosophical, Psychological Fiction  Rating : 5/5 🥰🥰🥰 One of the best books I have ever read. :) Eerie, omnious and potent with nerve wracking energy. Cannot delineate this story into one subject - this is a concoction dealing with elements of love, romance, betrayal, loss, disillusionment, mental illness, mystery, cancer and deeply engaging,amazing writing talent of Susann.   It kept me hooked through out as I traveled in the shoes of three women who bond during their struggling years for fame and success and break apart once they have reached their pinnacles of success!  This story exposed the vacancy and the void felt even by the most coveted and successful people. The journey to the top is always a lonely journey and even more so when one reaches the spot.   The three women main characters - Anne, Neely, Jennifer -  have got what it takes t

If he had been wih me by Laura Nowlin Book Review

 If he had been with me  By Laura Nowlin Published Year: 2013  Page Count : 385 pages  Medium used : Paperback  Genre : Romance, Young Adult, Teenage Love, 2024-read.  Rating : 4.5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🌠 This is a well written, cute, little love story. I felt very warm and fuzzy reading it .. until realization dawned on me on how it is going to end. It is definitely a sad ending but also holds some hope and promise for the future. The writing is utterly captivating. I congratulate the author on her amazing writing skills that brought this story to life!  To get to the rest of my review, click the link to wordpress.com below.  Read My Full Review Wordpress  Or Find the same review on Wix.com below Read Full Review on Wix