Skip to main content

Book Review : Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

Tipping the Velvet 

By Sarah Waters 


Published Year : 1998

Page Count : 472 pages 

Medium Used : Paperback 

Genre : Historical Fiction, Romance, Lesbian Love, Coming-of-age, Britain, 2024-read. 

Rating : 4/5 😋😋😋😋



I feel like I am putting my feet on two boats with this one. On the one hand, I don't usually read this genre (which isn't SFF or mystery). It felt like I was wasting my time which I could be utilizing on reading much better and impactful fiction. I felt my fingers twitching and my brain driving me to hate the chapters where nothing much is happening. I wanted to skip several pages and call the act of "reading" this done! But then, the other side of my argument appears and tells me how good the writing is! How strong, powerful and poignant the main character of Nancy Astley is! The prose is so good .. I was astonished and quite incredulous to learn that this is a debut book. It definitely felt like the work of an experienced hand. The command - the author has - over the actions and emotions of different characters is spellbinding. 


Though the title speaks of some sexual acts that are racy and ribald, the story and narrative remain deeply, deeply "clean" and only a little "greasy" with sexual content. 


This book is a celebration and an achievement for the author, who at the time of writing it, must have faced much criticism and scrutiny. The world is much changed now and there are many books on gay/homosexual love lives, encounters and behaviors. But at that time, it must have been an act of bravery and breaking convention.


Coming to the story, Nancy Astley is an oyster girl born and brought up until 18 years of age in a coastal town,Whitstable. Once, when she visits the Music hall with her family and friends, her eye rests upon and lingers on a male impersonating, handsome,young girl Kitty Butler. This starts an obsession for her and she somehow makes it to the music hall every day without missing any of her performances. They become quick friends and when Kitty gets an offer to move for a better opportunity in London, she asks Kitty to accompany her as a dressing aide. When they move to London, they share a room and a bed. Over time, they can't quell and hide their intense attraction for each other. They become lovers and when they pair up on stage to spice up the performances, their secret almost comes out. Kitty is despondent and above all wants to keep their affair a secret. This creates a bridge between them and Nancy walks out. Over the next 7-8 years, we see her stumbling along with where ever life takes her. She does some despicable things and chooses a life that is hedonistic for sexual favors. ( To imagine a heroine of the story go through such a lowly life is a surprise!). But she is quite fortuitous, in the sense that when ever she is in need of a helping hand, (the streets the author creates of the 1890s are very unsafe for a single girl to make a living) some one of her former, passing acquaintances pitch in. She eventually finds true love and all that. But her journey is a revealing and scary one to tread. 


At times I didn't understand why she chose the life she did. With a welcoming and caring family waiting back home, I would have run back to them and found much peace in the comforts of it. She definitely chose - time after time - a path that is difficult and filled with uncertainty. Still, much could have gone wrong and didn't. It must be the will of God - and the imagination of her author - that didn't damage the heart/soul of Nancy. I also like the way the end happens..on a note of hope, purpose and love. 


Cheers! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough book review

The Thorn Birds  By Colleen McCullough  Rating 3.75/5 Genres : Australia, Vatican city, Cardinal, Romance, Generational fiction, Historical fiction  Bah. I dont know. I felt this is just an ok sort of book. The only aspect that stirred me and struck a chord with me is the all encompassing, soul level love between Maggie and Father Ralph de Bricassart. Everything else - no matter how juicy,emotional or dramatic just failed to make an impact. The story covers the lives of three generations of women of the Cleary/Armstrong family line - their cherished dreams and dashed hopes, their hurts and heartbreaks over unrequited, failed loves..their finally getting what they wanted but it not being fully enough.. well, it sounds and feels like a roller coaster.  And whats more..there is plenty of repeat in the events of their lives..what has happened to the mother, happens to the daughter and so on..  Coming to the story. Maggie Cleary is brought up with a bunch of brothers in a very p

Book Review : The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand

 The Perfect Couple  By Elin Hildebrand  (Nantucket #3) Published Year : 2018 Page Count: 347 pages  Medium Used: Kindle PW  Genre : Romance, Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Drama, Crime, 2024-read.  Rating : 4/5  The ending is such an anticlimax and a let down for me - it almost feels like being cheated. I got so high and invested in the narrative..I lost sleep for most of last night and was reading all day since I got up this morning. The character development is ooof .. the characters are filled with life, credulity and fly off the page into the reader's mind space. I loved the layout of the narrative. I loved the writing.  I would have liked if the mother of the family was a bit on the negative side as well. I mean, really, having Nicole Kidman play the role and making it all cute, nice and kind, compassionate is like wasting enormous talent. I picked this book because I saw an ad that there is a limited series coming up on Netflix starring Nicole Kidman and other in

If he had been wih me by Laura Nowlin Book Review

 If he had been with me  By Laura Nowlin Published Year: 2013  Page Count : 385 pages  Medium used : Paperback  Genre : Romance, Young Adult, Teenage Love, 2024-read.  Rating : 4.5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🌠 This is a well written, cute, little love story. I felt very warm and fuzzy reading it .. until realization dawned on me on how it is going to end. It is definitely a sad ending but also holds some hope and promise for the future. The writing is utterly captivating. I congratulate the author on her amazing writing skills that brought this story to life!  To get to the rest of my review, click the link to wordpress.com below.  Read My Full Review Wordpress  Or Find the same review on Wix.com below Read Full Review on Wix