Skip to main content

Book Review: Martian Time-Slip by Philip K Dick

Martian Time-Slip 

By Philip K Dick


Published Year: 1999

Page Count: 246 pages 

Medium Used: Paperback 

Genre: Mental Illness, Schizophrenia, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mars, Space Opera, 2024-read. 

Rating : 5/5 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳



I have enjoyed reading this story .. it is tense and heart pounding. It involves time travel, some ancient God magic, memory altering reality and some amazing silly robotic tutoring! 


Reading Philip K Dick's books gives me a warm, smug feeling. He tells a lot while seemingly telling little. Like his other books, this one doesn't disappoint. He transported me into his reality of planet Mars with its strange native, aboriginal inhabitants, migrants from Earth and children (mostly normal,some anomalous) born on the planet. Seeing the world through his eyes and reading what it means is an absolutely amazing experience. 


How powerful and strong is the characterization of Arnie Kott, the man who plays the negative shaded villain. His stream of consciousness has held me in rapture and I couldn't put the book down - especially, the last few pages. The whole plot has a dreamy quality to it. A very young boy, autistic and with unique abilities to morph time - - can take a plunge into the past or the future and draw others along with him, for the ride. He can peer into the future/past and see/control it according to his most persistent and prominent thoughts/feelings which are bleak and dreary, dark. 


Humans have colonized Mars and there are many settlements established there. Children who are born with physical or mental defects are sheltered at a rehab facility in New Israel community. One of the inmates is a young autistic kid Manfred Steiner. He has a weird ability to pull/suck others around him into his reality and make them see his visions/thoughts. He is never still on his feet, doesn't talk a bit, doesn't look at anyone at all and has a lot of strage quirks. Into his world, a former Earth Schizophrenic, Jack Boheln enters on the commission of a business man Arnie Kott. Arnie wants to employ the kid's time altering/predicting capability and use it to make a profit. Everything goes wrong for the business man when he steps into his past, through Manfred's psychosis,  that he so desperately wants to alter. All his experiences are sent into a whirl and he can't recognize what has happened in that past and what is changing now. He couldn't change his reality but emerges out of this experience, a changed man.


I didn't see the end coming. There are many morals and pieces of wisdom the characters learn towards the end. I love this book which expostulated to me, in detail, the many struggles and troublesome experiences of active Schizophrenics! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough book review

The Thorn Birds  By Colleen McCullough  Rating 3.75/5 Genres : Australia, Vatican city, Cardinal, Romance, Generational fiction, Historical fiction  Bah. I dont know. I felt this is just an ok sort of book. The only aspect that stirred me and struck a chord with me is the all encompassing, soul level love between Maggie and Father Ralph de Bricassart. Everything else - no matter how juicy,emotional or dramatic just failed to make an impact. The story covers the lives of three generations of women of the Cleary/Armstrong family line - their cherished dreams and dashed hopes, their hurts and heartbreaks over unrequited, failed loves..their finally getting what they wanted but it not being fully enough.. well, it sounds and feels like a roller coaster.  And whats more..there is plenty of repeat in the events of their lives..what has happened to the mother, happens to the daughter and so on..  Coming to the story. Maggie Cleary is brought up with a bunch of brothers in a very p

Book Review : The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand

 The Perfect Couple  By Elin Hildebrand  (Nantucket #3) Published Year : 2018 Page Count: 347 pages  Medium Used: Kindle PW  Genre : Romance, Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Drama, Crime, 2024-read.  Rating : 4/5  The ending is such an anticlimax and a let down for me - it almost feels like being cheated. I got so high and invested in the narrative..I lost sleep for most of last night and was reading all day since I got up this morning. The character development is ooof .. the characters are filled with life, credulity and fly off the page into the reader's mind space. I loved the layout of the narrative. I loved the writing.  I would have liked if the mother of the family was a bit on the negative side as well. I mean, really, having Nicole Kidman play the role and making it all cute, nice and kind, compassionate is like wasting enormous talent. I picked this book because I saw an ad that there is a limited series coming up on Netflix starring Nicole Kidman and other in

If he had been wih me by Laura Nowlin Book Review

 If he had been with me  By Laura Nowlin Published Year: 2013  Page Count : 385 pages  Medium used : Paperback  Genre : Romance, Young Adult, Teenage Love, 2024-read.  Rating : 4.5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🌠 This is a well written, cute, little love story. I felt very warm and fuzzy reading it .. until realization dawned on me on how it is going to end. It is definitely a sad ending but also holds some hope and promise for the future. The writing is utterly captivating. I congratulate the author on her amazing writing skills that brought this story to life!  To get to the rest of my review, click the link to wordpress.com below.  Read My Full Review Wordpress  Or Find the same review on Wix.com below Read Full Review on Wix