Skip to main content

Book Review : Amsterdam by Ian McEwan

 Amsterdam 

by Ian McEwan 

Winner of Booker Prize 1998


Published Year: 1997

Page Count: 178 pages 

Medium Used: Paperback

Genre: Drama, Domestic Fiction, Euthanasia, Booker Prize, 2024-read.

Rating: 3/5 

Some Spoilers ahead!!


I don't know what it is - either the prose or the story itself - I found my mind wandering into a thousand different places, into a thousand different concepts while reading this book. I had to backtrack and re-read some sections. I can't comment on whether this book deserves a booker or not - it is different from the other books I read which have won the Booker. This book seems more moral based and nuanced. Two men - who both dated the same woman that is now dead from a mental deprivation - who also make a mutual pact to euthanize the other should a mental deprivation set in within themselves - actually go through it at the end!! 


I think they both harbored mutual hatred towards the end and killed each other in cold blood. They justified to each other that they were helping a friend while nursing their own wounded egocentric state. 


Clive, a music composer, and Vernon, a newspaper editor, are two men who have dated Molly Lane, the wife of George Lane. Molly also had a third former lover - Garmony, the British Foreign Secretary who is aiming to become the next Prime Minister. George finds some incriminating photographs of Garmony in Molly's collection and hands them to Vernon to publish and damage his bidding chances for Prime Minister. Clive opposes to the act of publishing such evidence on moral grounds that they were taken in private, intimate circumstances. Vernon doesn't pay much heed to these remonstrances but doesn't go ahead with his plan either - because he will be forced to resign. Vernon also reports to the police of a certain incident which Clive mentions to him in private. Being dragged into questioning, Clive opines, spoilt his symphony and prevented from it reaching its majestic state. They get overly angry at the other for ruining their chances in getting ahead in their career. 


Both characters - Clive and Vernon -  jump to assumptions that the other is set against them. Even though each is only trying to follow their personal, moral code and doing the right thing in regards to the other's action. Its just that they are not perfect. They want to be condoned for their immoral and imperfect  actions but can't let the other slip by. 


I think this is a small book and the story is simple enough. But it also has a lot of interferences to be drawn from the text and context. Do check this out! I found Ian's writing easy enough to follow and trace through even when he is heavily talking about some concepts I didn't quickly understand - like what goes into the making of music. 

Comments

  1. I've just finished this book and after looking on Reddit for other people's thoughts—something I do often—I found yours! The first search result for "Amsterdam McEwan". I think your review is pretty good—I'm no expert but I would suggest opting to talk more about McEwan's style rather than just summary, and also elaborating more on the deeply flawed characters: Clive and Vernon. Also, I'm assuming you're not a native English speaker—and if you're not then great work!—so make sure to use a spell check software of some sorts, see examples of dashes to use them properly, and avoid using "fancy" language for the sake of looking sophisticated. Finally, don't take this as a critique, you're doing a great job! I'll stay tuned for future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the comment. Yes, I am not a native English speaker. I think ur suggestion is very constructive and will make some changes accordingly. Again, thanks for following up my posts :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough book review

The Thorn Birds  By Colleen McCullough  Rating 3.75/5 Genres : Australia, Vatican city, Cardinal, Romance, Generational fiction, Historical fiction  Bah. I dont know. I felt this is just an ok sort of book. The only aspect that stirred me and struck a chord with me is the all encompassing, soul level love between Maggie and Father Ralph de Bricassart. Everything else - no matter how juicy,emotional or dramatic just failed to make an impact. The story covers the lives of three generations of women of the Cleary/Armstrong family line - their cherished dreams and dashed hopes, their hurts and heartbreaks over unrequited, failed loves..their finally getting what they wanted but it not being fully enough.. well, it sounds and feels like a roller coaster.  And whats more..there is plenty of repeat in the events of their lives..what has happened to the mother, happens to the daughter and so on..  Coming to the story. Maggie Cleary is brought up with a bunch of brothers in a very p

Book Review : The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand

 The Perfect Couple  By Elin Hildebrand  (Nantucket #3) Published Year : 2018 Page Count: 347 pages  Medium Used: Kindle PW  Genre : Romance, Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Drama, Crime, 2024-read.  Rating : 4/5  The ending is such an anticlimax and a let down for me - it almost feels like being cheated. I got so high and invested in the narrative..I lost sleep for most of last night and was reading all day since I got up this morning. The character development is ooof .. the characters are filled with life, credulity and fly off the page into the reader's mind space. I loved the layout of the narrative. I loved the writing.  I would have liked if the mother of the family was a bit on the negative side as well. I mean, really, having Nicole Kidman play the role and making it all cute, nice and kind, compassionate is like wasting enormous talent. I picked this book because I saw an ad that there is a limited series coming up on Netflix starring Nicole Kidman and other in

If he had been wih me by Laura Nowlin Book Review

 If he had been with me  By Laura Nowlin Published Year: 2013  Page Count : 385 pages  Medium used : Paperback  Genre : Romance, Young Adult, Teenage Love, 2024-read.  Rating : 4.5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🌠 This is a well written, cute, little love story. I felt very warm and fuzzy reading it .. until realization dawned on me on how it is going to end. It is definitely a sad ending but also holds some hope and promise for the future. The writing is utterly captivating. I congratulate the author on her amazing writing skills that brought this story to life!  To get to the rest of my review, click the link to wordpress.com below.  Read My Full Review Wordpress  Or Find the same review on Wix.com below Read Full Review on Wix